Social Anxiety – What is it?

Everyone’s heard of Anxiety. There’s plenty of brilliant bloggers out there speaking about the subject right now. But what about Social Anxiety? Not alot gets said about this type of anxiety, so I thought I would do a post on it and all of the things to look out for.

I suffer from Social Anxiety and I believe it stems from bullying. I’ve had it since I left school, but im constantly trying to find new ways to tackle the issue and to make it a bit easier for myself.

Social Anxiety should never be confused with shyness, it’s so much more than that and as a result it can affect your life in many different ways. I find it hard to speak on the phone to people I don’t know, most of the time I will avoid it by either texting or emailing, because thats what makes me feel comfortable. If I’m on a bus eating something, I will be very aware of people around me and what they are thinking of me, for examply I’ll think that they think I’m a pig or I’m eating too loudly.

I find it hard to make friends at times. I think when I’m talking to people that they figure me to be a bumbling mess of a person and that everyone may very well hate me. It’s hard to make people understand. I don’t take criticism well because I will sit there and overthink it for hours, it will literally go round and round for hours.

feelings-1943569_640

But alas, enough about me! I’ve put together a little list below listing some of the most common effects from this anxiety;

• An awful feeling of dread in meeting new people
  • Panicking about 1st time phone calls with people
  • Fear of being criticised
  • Overthinking
  • Little desire to do everyday tasks, for example shopping with friends or eating out with friends
  • Low self –ย  esteem
  • Avoiding eye to eye contact

Obviously not all of these will happen to everyone, but even if you suffer from maybe a couple then know that someone will always be there to talk to. There is a lot of people out there who suffer with this and it’s not just something that should be swept under the rug.

Over time I have forced myself into situations that I maybe wasn’t comfortable with before. However my mind still works with the sense of “these people don’t like you, you will always be that girl you were as a child” and I wish to god that I could find a way so that I didn’t think that way anymore.

I hope that this post was somewhat useful and that it can help a few more people. Would love to hear your thoughts on this, so please leave comments below and if you ever need to talk you know where to find me. We’re all in this together.

Claire xoxo

1. Tiffany Rawling (@TiffanyRawling)

January 15, 2017 at 8:46 pm

I relate to this post so much! I suffer with social anxiety and it has such a massive affect on what I can and can’t do. I think there are so many people who just don’t understand and think you’re being awkward, or shy or lazy when really it’s so much more than that. You’ve explained it all so well and I really hope it gets people talking and maybe makes a few more people understand what social anxiety is and what its really like x

Tiffany x http://www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

1. thatmummarocks

January 15, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Thank you for your lovely comment, I really hope it makes other people aware and understand a little better x

2. Jess Terry ๐ŸŒผ

January 15, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Have you looked into medication? I find anti-anxiety medication to be a great help ๐Ÿ˜Š X

1. thatmummarocks

January 15, 2017 at 9:28 pm

I have but I’m unsure, it’s certainly something to think about though! Thanks for reading x

3. Jasmine

January 15, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Great post. You explain it really well! the more people are open about mental health, the better! โ˜บ๏ธ

4. youmustbehighxo

January 16, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Loved reading this – what an honest and real post. I’m really loving how open about mental illness everyone is being nowadays xx

1. thatmummarocks

January 22, 2017 at 2:47 pm

It’s good to talk about it, thank you for reading xx

5. alittlereader

January 24, 2017 at 2:40 am

I have social anxiety and things like the phone calls, something so small is a major part of my life, I find it hard to call somebody I hardly know and I find myself getting others to do it for me. I’m not sure where my anxiety came from though as I didn’t get bullied, although I do understand a lot of people find it comes from that background. Mine just gradually got worse through school for no apparent reason, that I know of anyways! But people do need to know that they’re not on their own and this is a very helpful post, so thank you. Keep to what you do lovely, you’re doing great ๐Ÿ™‚ – Sarah xoxo

6. lalsiee

February 16, 2017 at 12:16 pm

I relate to this so much! People are always calling me shy and quiet when really all that’s doing is making my social anxiety so much worse! Really really helpful post! x

1. thatmummarocks

February 16, 2017 at 6:01 pm

It’s hard when people don’t understand isn’t it? Thanks for reading x

7. artsycrystal

March 27, 2017 at 1:30 am

I also have anxiety. I have recently bought some essential oils which help and bach flower remedies for emotional health.

1. thatmummarocks

March 27, 2017 at 8:37 pm

I may have to try that, thanks for reading x

8. GirlMasked

April 2, 2017 at 12:52 pm

A great post! Well done for speakimg out about such an important topic which definitely needs more awareness and acceptance particularly around the difference between social anxiety and shyness. I could really relate to this post especially about eating in public, talking on the phone and meeting new people. It always seems so much easier to write stuff down rather than say it aloud or talk to other people but it’s important to go outside our comfort zones which is what I am trying to do recently. Thanks so muh for posting this. I definitely know and understand that it is hard but you can get through this!

1. thatmummarocks

April 21, 2017 at 10:02 am

I’m so glad it’s helped you x thank you for reading! X

9. A+B

April 15, 2017 at 1:49 am

Omgosh! While reading your post and the “symptoms” for social anxiety, i was saying,”That’s me!” the whole time. I have problems with this and I can’t ever seem to relax. I would be so happy w/o it. Thanks for this post. Any helpful tips ya have would be awesome! Thanks! ~Anne

1. thatmummarocks

April 21, 2017 at 10:14 am

I’m so glad it helped you x thanks for reading x Music helps me a lot, just slip on some headphones and relax x

10. wordofrachel

April 20, 2017 at 9:35 am

I really relate to this post! I’ve had social anxiety since I was 11 years old, and it went unnoticed for over 10 years because i was labeled as shy for so long and simply told to stop being shy, and speak more. It’s very hard to put into words that I can’t speak more, there’s what feels like a physical block preventing me from doing so. It’s so frustrating! I’m so happy that people talk about this condition a lot more now! It’s made my life and anxiety a little bit more bearable (although I’m going to punch the next person that says “but everyone gets anxious at times”)

1. thatmummarocks

April 21, 2017 at 10:15 am

I’m so glad you related to it, thank you for reading x

11. savana

October 25, 2017 at 3:26 pm

I suffer tremendously from this unfortunately. I have developed with time coping mechanisms allowing it to not take control of me. Great awareness post