Games we loved as kids

Nintendo 64, Playstion, Mega Drive, PC, Master system. At some point in our childhood we played some sort of video game. I don’t know about anyone else but all these games I played when young have stuck in my mind ever since and bring many happy memories when I play them again!

So with that in mind I decided to take us down a nostolgic memory lane and highlight a few games that were popular back in the day!

Golden Eye – N64

I played this game over and over again and even though im not that much of a shooter game girl, this was different. Everyone was playing it and it was the game to play. Lets not forget that music too!

Spyro the dragon – Playstation

Ohhh Spyro. You took many hours of my childhood and I would do it all again. It was colourful and it screamed ‘play me for hours kids’.

Theme Hospital – PC/Playstation

Oh boy. There is nothing I love more than a simulator game and theme hospital is what got me into them. Building my own hospital, making money and hitting deadlines, ‘doctor to the inflater room please’! P.S I still have this game downloaded to my laptop!

Crash Bandicoot – Playstation

First game that got me frustrated, acidentally spinning nearing a ledge, then falling off and losing a life, yeah frustrating as hell. Still I loved it to tiny pieces and I’d play again….but still probably fall off a ledge

Pacman – Atari 2600

Ah Pacman that game in the arcade that you always had to play. You know to this day though I still haven’t completed it, thats even if you can complete it. That game seemed never ending!

Sonic The Hedgehog – Master System

I used to literally spend hours watching my brother and his friend play it. I loved all the levels and I used to think I ruled the world when I collected 100 rings and gained a life ‘fist pumps the sky’. Sonic and Tails will always have a place in my heart!

Demo Discs – Playstation

Bear with me on this one. So if you owned a Playstation you would know about the demo disc that came with it. You used to be able to get a free demo disc with the monthly playstation magazine (geek alert) anyway, these discs were flipping amazing. You got to play one level of each featured game. To be fair I don’t think I ever played the full games, I just the demos!

Mario Kart 64 – N64

Now there has been alot of mario kart games. But the one that sticks in my mind is the N64 version. This and Golden Eye were the must have games if you owned an N64. Even now I find such joy in playing this game and its also turned out to be my son’s favourite!

Silent Hill – Playstation

Silent Hill is what got me into the jumpy horror genre. Even though it scared the hell out of me and made my heart leave my chest it is still one of my favourite games ever!

I’d love to know if you ever played any of these or any other games that meant alot to you as a child. Be sure to let me know!

Blog Signature

1. RealNess

April 13, 2017 at 11:06 am

Oh gosh I remember demo discs! THEME HOSPITAL! I STILL GOT THAT YUSSSSSSSSSS

2. Paul and the Backlog

April 13, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Oh man, I can’t even begin to count how many hours me and my friends must have put into games like Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64. Those titles were my childhood!! 😀

That said, would you like to share your articles in our FB group? We’re a growing community of gaming bloggers and we’re always looking for more writers to share their work and discuss all things gaming. Just search for “Game Bloggers United” on Facebook.

3. Ashleigh Taylor

April 13, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Spyro the dragon was probably my favourite childhood game! It brings back memories for sure

1. thatmummarocks

April 21, 2017 at 10:10 am

Spent so many hours on that game lol x

4. Holly 🖤 (@closingwinter)

April 14, 2017 at 9:40 am

Goldeneye!! This brings back a lot of fun memories playing with my friends!! WE had a C64 and used to play Dizzy a lot and CJ’s Elephant Antics!! 😀 xx

1. thatmummarocks

April 21, 2017 at 10:11 am

Goldeneye was amazing! Thanks for reading beaut! X

5. Sophia Whitham

April 14, 2017 at 5:39 pm

I loved Spyro! and Crash Bandicoot, oh and dance mats, they were a thing for a while too! haha

Sophia x http://sophiawhitham.co.uk

1. thatmummarocks

April 21, 2017 at 10:12 am

lol I remember my dance mat! X

6. Sarah

April 14, 2017 at 8:38 pm

I loved Spyro and Crash Bandicoot when I was younger! We didn’t have Spyro but it was a must have whenever we were allowed to borrow a game from Blockbusters (remember when that was a thing)

I remember we got a Sega Mega Drive it came bundled with The Lion King – I used to get so frustrated on the 2nd stage which was based on I Just Can’t Wait To Be King – But I was so good at the stampede level!

I also have Theme Hospital on my laptop – It was a freebie on Origin and how could I say no?! I loved Theme Park World on the PlayStation too!

1. thatmummarocks

April 21, 2017 at 10:12 am

That’s how I got theme hospital too lol! Thanks for reading x

7. The Forest 94

April 15, 2017 at 4:15 am

How could you forget Super Smash Bros for the N64? My brother and I, along with two friends, played this game for hours on end. We would scream in joy every time something crazy happened and at least one of us would cry in laughter during every session. Most of my fondest memories are with them, when we pulled all-nighters in my friend’s basement. Actually, we still play to this day – it’s been about ten years now. The main difference is we now play competitively and go to tournaments. But the magic part is, that only makes the game even more fun.

1. thatmummarocks

April 21, 2017 at 10:14 am

To be fair I’ve probably missed a lot but it’s good for people to point out their favourites, thanks for reading!

8. beautyblitzblog

May 11, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Spyro was pretty much my childhood! And Theme Hospital! “Hospital administrator is cheating”. The Sims was probably my fave xx

9. Jordanne | Thelifeofaglasgowgirl

June 26, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Yes! Love this post hun, it’s been such a blast from the past. My favourites were donkey Kong and Super Mario for the Nintendo 64. I Really have to buy this again and get playing.

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

1. thatmummarocks

July 2, 2017 at 11:43 am

I saw a N64 in CEX the other day and instantly thought of you! X

10. ashley madison

October 19, 2017 at 10:50 am

Ha, here from google, this is what i was looking for.

11. Dan

October 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm

For me it started at the NES with the Super Mario/Duck Hunt duo cartridge! Then onto SNES which was Mario Kart, then N64 was definitely Goldeneye and Mario Kart!