The Joy Of Long Distance Friendship

Well hello you beautiful people. So last night I was having a slightly emotional evening, not emotional in the bad kind, this was for sure in a good way. I was emotional because I realised how blessed I am with friendship, yes I have friends in the *real world* but I am even more blessed with long distance friends, friends that I have made through blogging. Today I wanted to make it all about them!

There is a great thing in this world and it is called social media, ok maybe not so great at times but great in the part that im gonna talk about. Social media has millions of people on its sites and if you spend enough time on there then chances are you’ve made a friendship through it. I can hear people now yelling at me *yeah yeah Claire, how on earth can you be friends with someone you’ve never met* well let me tell you this buster, you must certainly can!

For people who can be shy, have anxiety or even suffer from being insecure due to bullying; social media can be an escape for many and having just one person there at the end of a message can really matter alot. In the blogging universe we have twitter chats, these chats are an opportunity for all of us bloggers to come together, to meet new people and to spread the word about our blogs and it is during these chats that some people can meet some of their bestest friends and not only do these people become friends but they become a kind of family unit. You begin to support that person in every way you possibly can, you write to them, you skype them and all the while there is a niggling feeling inside…you realise just how much you need to meet this person in the real world and you can just imagine how awesome that day would be!

I should say at this point that no one should ever be made to feel like their not your real friends because you’ve never met them, I can’t begin to describe how wrong that is. People struggle to make friends in the real world, some people like me can be awkward as hell and for those of us who are and those of us who have been let down so many times by real world friendships, these friendships mean the absolute world.

My Long Distance Friendships

Clearly I had to talk about my own long distance friendships! I have many many friends online and I love each one dearly, but if you know me then your know that there are two girls who are very dear to me and it all began over pot noodles and a food chat!

About a year ago now I was fairly new to the blogging/twitter scene and so I’d heard about these Chats that would happen so of course I had to join one and funny enough the one I joined was a food chat…classic Claire, of course it was about food…its you! Whilst the chat was ongoing I started chatting to two girls, now these girls knew each other already but I was very much welcomed by both of them, by the end of the chat I felt like I was on a high because for the first time ever no one had looked at me and decided not to talk to me, people actually wanted to talk to me and seemed really intrested in what I had to say. Anyway fast forward and I had started talking to these girls every other day just about random stuff really and just supporting each others accounts and blogs.

So lets now fast forward again to around April/May and I got to Skype with these girls, as soon as they appeared on the screen I freaked out, in fact I think we all did! Here I was face to face (through a screen) talking to these girls who had become great friends to me and I have to admit I got kind of emotional at the time because as great as it was seeing them there was one thing seperating us. I was in Kent and they were both in Glasgow.

After that Skype call I was asked to become a part of a very successful Twitter account called Bloggers Tribea and from there on out we have always been there for each other. We laugh together, we cry together and we work well with each other.

Jordanne and Katie may live up the other end of the country from me but they mean the world to me and I know that I only need to message them and they are there in almost an instant. You see I don’t need to know these girls in the real world because I know that our friendship is strong enough to not have to see each other every day or every week.

Im hoping that next year is the big moment when we all meet and when we do all meet im sure there will be tears, hugs and food, but I also know it will be one of the best days ever.

So heres to Long Distance Friendship embrace it, look after it and enjoy every damn moment of having these amazing people in your life.

1. Tiffany

October 9, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Aww I think it is so lovely how close you are with Jordanne and Katie! It’s definitely possible to make lifelong friends online and I so hope you get to meet them soon, they seem like such lovely girls, as do you! I’ve found this year I’ve interacted with so many different people online and have found some I really consider friends now, I’m so glad I started blogging as I wouldn’t know about this whole community and how lovely it is otherwise! Some bloggers friends have been more supportive than some of my own family and friends, so I wouldn’t be without it now x

Tiffany x http://www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

2. Jordanne | Thelifeofaglasgowgirl

October 9, 2017 at 6:54 pm

I looooovvvveeee you dear! You’re such a good friend and distance is only miles. I can’t wait for the day we finally meet, it’s amazing having such a good friendship where distance doesn’t matter, that’s how you know it’s friendship at the core. Who says friends from social media aren’t the real world? I very much count you as one of my closest friends and I know I can talk to you for what ever reason and you won’t judge, you’re there with open arms and pot noodles 😉 LOVE YOUUU LOADS!

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

3. Nicola J Ogston

October 9, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I love this. Social media is great in the way that it lets you connect with people you might not never met in real life. I’ve got to know a few folks online who I call friend. X

4. Samantha

October 10, 2017 at 12:23 am

Great post! I think it’s great to have so many connections!

5. Zoe

October 10, 2017 at 7:31 am

This is so so so so true! I absolutely love this post Claire, I struggle with making friends in real life because I’m myself for the get go and that for some reason makes people think I’m weird and not being myself, but since starting my blog and being on Twitter I’ve been accepted by some amazing ladies (you are one) and I don’t feel like everyone hates me for just being myself you know? Those people who say you can’t make friends on social media are clearly hanging out in the wrong part of the internet.

6. That Kenyan Wanderer

October 10, 2017 at 3:25 pm

This is so beautifully written! I’m still new to this whole Facebook groups thing but I really hope to make some great online friends soon. <3

7. Samantha

October 10, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Such a lovely post and so true! I love social media as it allows you to chat to people that you otherwise wouldn’t see in real life or might not have chosen to chat to of you had.
    She’s Looking at the Stars

8. Abbey Louisa Rose (@abbeylouisarose)

October 10, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Awww Claire, this is such a heartwarming post! I too have friends that I met over the Internet, who have never seen in real life, but that doesn’t mean that the mean any less to me than a friend that I would see every single day! My online friends have been there for me through some really tough times and I love them to bits! when you do finally get to meet up in person, it is such a fantastic experience, and although you may feed a little shy at first, that friendship soon starts to shine through! Katie and Jordanne are indeed fabulous girls and I’m so happy that you’re all so close!

Abbey 😘 http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

9. Lola

October 11, 2017 at 2:59 pm

I met my Scottish blogger friend from Bloggers Tribe and met her within a couple of weeks – she has come and visited me and I am organising her baby shower – all so exciting! x
    Lola Mia // http://www.lolitabonita.co.uk

10. Gemma

October 11, 2017 at 6:17 pm

I adore having long distance friends! I’ve met soo many people through Twitter & blogging of course that I would call friends! I would love to meet each and everyone of them and it’s crazy to thing we met online. For me yes you can’t see them every day but when you do meet it makes it a special occasion. I’ve loved this post!

Gemma | http://www.anoceanglimmer.wordpress.com

11. Katie

October 17, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Love you long time Claire! And 2018 is definitely the year we all meet! I first read this post while away, and it just made me hurt a little knowing that we were even further from you than normal! But soon we’ll have our bar in Ibiza and we can all live together and the kids can all go to the fancy English school down the road!
    Just because we’re far apart doesn’t mean we’re not allowed to be bffs – just means the moment we finally meet will be even better!